State Benefits are sums of money paid by the Government to people in certain circumstances to meet their day to day living needs. They exist to make sure no one falls below a minimum standard of living. State Benefits are also sometimes called allowances, pensions, tax credits or entitlements.

If you come to live in the United Kingdom you may be eligible for financial help. To get this help you must be able to prove residency and that you are registered as a worker.

Eligibility to state benefits depends on; 1)your immigration status 2) if you are looking for employment

Some most common state benefits are:

Job seekers Allowance

  • You may get job seekers allowance if:
  • You’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 or 17 – contact Job centre Plus for advice)
  • You’re under the State Pension age
  • You’re not in full-time education
  • You’re in England, Scotland or Wales
  • You’re available for work
  • You’re actively seeking work
  • You work on average less than 16 hours per week
  • Your partner, if you have one, works for less than 24 hours a week on average
  • You have signed an agreement to look for work (‘Claimant Commitment’)
  • You don’t have an illness or disability which stops you from working

Employment and support Allowance

You may get ESA if your illness or disability affects your ability to work and you’re:

  • under State Pension age
  • not getting Statutory Sick Pay or Statutory Maternity Pay and you haven’t gone back to work
  • not getting Jobseeker’s Allowance

Income Support

  • To be eligible for Income Support, you must be between 16 and Pension Credit qualifying age

Council Tax Support

  • You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.

Support for Mortgage Interest

  • To qualify for a Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) loan you usually need to be getting one of the following:
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit

Tax credit

  • Working tax credit: Eligibility depends on your age and how many hours of paid work you do a week. Your income and circumstances will also affect how much you get.
  • Child tax credit: you may be able to claim Child Tax Credit if you’re responsible for children either; aged 16 or under – you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday and under 20 and in eligible education or training

Universal Tax

  • You may be able to get Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

  • You must be aged 16 to 64 and have a health condition or disability where you:
  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months (unless you’re terminally ill with less than 6 months to live)

Disability living Allowance

Disability living Allowance for Children

  • The child must:
  • be under 16
  • need extra looking after or have walking difficulties
  • be in Great Britain, another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland when you claim – there are some exceptions, such as family members of the Armed Forces
  • have lived in Great Britain for 2 of the last 3 years, if over 3 years old
  • be habitually resident in the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
  • not be subject to immigration control

Disability living Allowance for Adults

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged 16 to 64.
  • You can no longer apply for DLA if you’re 16 or over. You might be able to get PIP instead.

Attendance Allowance

  • You can get Attendance Allowance if you’re 65 or over and the following apply:
  • you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, for example blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both
  • your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety
  • you have needed that help for at least 6 months (unless you’re terminally ill)

Carer’s Allowance

  • You must earn no more than £120 a week after tax and expenses. All of the following must also apply:
  • you’re 16 or over
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
  • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
  • you’re not in full-time education
  • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • you’re not subject to immigration control

Pension Credit

Guarantee Credit

  • To qualify for Guarantee Credit:
  • you must live in England, Scotland or Wales
  • you or your partner must have reached Pension Credit qualifying age

Savings Credit

  • To qualify for the extra Savings Credit you or your partner must be 65 or over.